Enabling fast start capability (Germany)
A German customer approached MTU Power for support in implementing fast start up capabilities of under seven minutes. New purging logic was implemented and the control software and HMI modified.
- Plant to be used for electricity balancing on capacity market
- Payments for short-term availability (engine startup time <7 minutes required)
- Exhaust ducts need to be purged for 6 minutes to remove residual natural gas vapors
- New purging logic implemented
- Control software modification
- HMI modification
- Purging procedure conducted after each engine shutdown
- Leak proofness is monitored and system status set to "purged"
- If a fast start is required, the purging procedure can be omitted
- Customer can participate on electricity balancing market
- Able to utilize additional source of revenue